As adopted by the OIAA Hamilton Chapter, pursuant to OIAA Constitution Article 7.
These by-laws are the laws governing the Hamilton Chapter: A Chapter of the Ontario Insurance Adjusters Association (“OIAA”).
- Members of the Hamilton chapter must reside or be employed in the geographical location of the Hamilton Chapter. The geographical location of the Hamilton Chapter is Hamilton and the surrounding area, including but not limited to, Burlington, Brantford, Haldimand, Norfolk, Guelph.
- The Hamilton Chapter adopts the OIAA Constitution as written and will adhere to its guiding principles, ethics and not for profit status, with the exceptions listed in the by-laws below:
- Membership: OIAA members as defined in the OIAA Constitution, located in the geographical area, are members of the Hamilton Chapter automatically, unless an alternate location is listed by the individual member.
- Executive: The chapter executive shall consist of an elected President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, and a minimum of 2 OIAA members as Directors. These must be active members as defined by Article 3(a) in the OIAA Constitution. The chapter will elect an OIAA delegate who will represent Hamilton Chapter on the OIAA executive. The immediate past president shall also serve on the executive, but this is not an elected position.
- In addition the Executive may allow one Social Member to sit on the executive at one time as outlined in our Best Practices Handbook.
- Elections: shall be held every year in the month of June. Nominations will be accepted by the sitting President. Nominations may be accepted from the floor the day of the election, with the exception of the Treasurer, who must have over 1 year of experience on the chapter executive. The member who captures the majority of eligible votes retains the position. Eligible voters are OIAA members who have designated the Hamilton Chapter as their chapter. OIAA members from other chapters may not vote in the Hamilton Chapter election. Voting shall be by secret ballot, and the presiding officer shall be the immediate Past President for the chapter, or in the alternative a Past President for the chapter, or in the alternative a Past President of the chapter. The Past President shall cast the deciding vote in the event of a tie.
- Dissolution: The chapter executive and 50% of the chapter designated OIAA members can vote to dissolve the chapter. All funds of the chapter will revert to the Provincial OIAA to be distributed to its remaining chapters for use for its members. Membership in the local chapter will revert to the Toronto are or an alternate chapter of the individual member’s choice.
- Discipline: All discipline matters pertaining to OIAA members must be referred to the Provincial Executive, for consultation.
- Fiduciary Responsibility: The chapter agrees that it must govern itself financially in the best interest of the OIAA and the Chapter. Each year it will file the appropriate taxes within the Canada Revenue Agency. It will not contractually obligate the OIAA in any manner, for any reason with the express written permission of the OIAA.
- The Hamilton Chapter will honour and enforce the rules and regulations in our Best Practices Handbook. This handbook will be reviewed annually by the current executive and updated accordingly.
Find out more about membership and executive committee.
Join OIAA today and learn more about our by-laws.